Friday, February 08, 2008

Reasons I'm on the fence ...

Clinton, Obama. Obama, Clinton. I've gone 'round and 'round. I feel very thankful we've had so many great candidates on the D side vying for president, but it also makes the decision very, very hard. Clinton, Obama. Obama, Clinton. I know I'm not the only one on the fence. I know I want a better health care system, and Hillary has a plan. She has specific plans for many things. Specificity is good. And I know Barack has more than just charisma, though it's usually the charisma I hear about. And after the last eight painful and demoralizing years of he-who-must-not-be-named, well, a little charisma (or a lot in Barack's case) gets us feeling euphoric. And that feels good, really good. For the record: I fully believe Barack would do a great job. And I fully believe Hillary would do a great job. (AND she came to Tacoma. TO TACOMA! Small venue be-damned, she actually ventured out of the Emerald City!)

When it's all said and done, I will fully support whoever survives this gauntlet. If I could magically combine Hillary and Barack's many great qualities, I would do so in a split-second and be a happy, blissful and confident camper. But such magic is in my imagination, and so the painful process of choosing will occur. Dammit. Seriously, anyone have a magic spell to mash those two together before tomorrow? Then perhaps I could sleep at night.

But, at least I'm not alone ...

Tacoma Mama now knows my pain.
Girlfriend in Tacoma now knows my pain.
Both Hands is blissful in her Obama high.
So is Mr. Emery.
I'm a bit envious.

But tomorrow it's time. It's time for Washington's caucus, and as I keep hearing from every corner, both sides of the fence, Ds as well as Rs ... this year our decisions matter more than ever. I caucused for the last presidential election, a record-breaker in attendance for recent memory, but it wasn't anywhere near this close. And I have a feeling this year will make 2004 look like a vacant room. Tomorrow I have to make a decision. Tomorrow I'll be up to being swayed. Saturday I will close my eyes really tight, hold my breath and jump into one pool or the other. At least, I believe, the waters will be warm in either direction ...

Luckily, November's choice will not have such pain.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, I know, I know, so know what you're saying! I tell my kids this will be the most important presidential election I've ever particapted in, and they ask who I'm voting for, and I say I can't make up my mind!!! They'd both get my vote! So I've listened to the speeches, I've read the info on their websites, and tomorrow I'll go to the caucus. Maybe that'll help me FINALLY make a decision.

Jess said...

the kid told me, today, in her infinite wisdom, "I think it's time to have a lady president. It's not fair all the other presidents have been men." Apparently, she wants to have a lady's face on a dollar bill.

Yep, I think it's time.

Jess said...

the kid told me, today, in her infinite wisdom, "I think it's time to have a lady president. It's not fair all the other presidents have been men." Apparently, she wants to have a lady's face on a dollar bill.

Yep, I think it's time.

Jess said...

oh, hell, it double-published me, (sorry!!)

Jen said...

A. to me:

"What's a caucus?"

"It's like an election, it's when people get together and decide who they want to be president."

"Oh! Can I be president?"

I think she meant, like, tomorrow. But still, the question kind of made me teary in the context of Hillary being so close to the nomination.

CorinaLily said...

I absolutely support Obama. I feel like he has the ability to unite our country in a way that Hillary can't possibly manage.

<--- Aleta's mom