Thursday, May 10, 2007

Glad it's there when we need it

Tacoma is a great place to live. Great parks, great shops, great schools -- and great hospitals. Thanks to a 4-year-old who apparently inherited my asthma but to a boy (worse) degree (apparently boys' respiratory pieces -- don't ask me terminology -- are narrower than girls', so they are more likely to be more affected by a predisposition to asthma). Twice last year the brave boy spent multiple nights at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital. Including one stay that began during the big fall rains that closed Highway 16 for part of a day, stranding a very worried mommy in Bremerton. (Goes to show I just shouldn't leave Tacoma, eh? I know all the alternate routes around here ...) And while I wish we didn't know this so well, the folks at Mary Bridge are wonderful. Tonight my son got to venture to another cadre of talent, Group Health headquarters, for what we thought was another asthma attack. But, no, it's croup. Croup? I thought that was something you only read about in old novels, like Anne of Green Gables. But no. He has croup. And the youngest girlie-girl might have it too. But little guy and his daddy are at the hospital -- thankfully only a short breathless drive away. The girls and I are getting ready for bed. And as I cross my fingers and pray that this isn't an overnight stay for the missing munchkin, I'm also relieved that he's near by and under the care of some talented folks. And so a shout out to our local health care providers -- thanks for all you do.

6 comments:

kevinfreitas said...

Here's to a speedy recovery for both your little ones. I have no kids myself but if it's anything like leaving a kitty overnight somewhere (I'm wagering it's worse) then I feel for you.

Take care all!

Anonymous said...

Hope your wee one is better soon!

Elle said...

Croup is the worst. We had our own bout with it 3 weeks ago and we all know how that turned out for me. Hope he's doing better soon.

Trusty Husband said...

Prayers for your little guy. I hope he is much better soon! Speaking as one who grew up with asthma, it sucks.

CV said...

Oh my gosh, all thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery!

Unknown said...

eek! I didn't see this post before, somehow.

I'm glad everyone was feeling well enough by yesterday to have a good Mother's day! That sounds so scary.