Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Totally unofficial poll observation

I vote at the polls ... a happening that used to be just down the street, but now is over in the Proctor district. And this morning, what could be my last poll-voting morning, I forgot what today was. I blame it on being sick the last few days, but I jumped on the bus only to get to work and realize that I did not have a plan for getting to the polls. So I made one fast. I considered taking the bus there, voting, then jumping on the next bus home. I didn't think it would take long. And I'm glad I opted for taking the bus home, grabbing a car and zipping over to Proctor for my turn. Because, zip I did NOT go through the line. And I had a key kid-switch to do with the hubby before he headed off to post-election parties, and before the kids and I went to the school's great pizza takeover. (Takeover any restaurant equals hell for anyone over 10 ... and yes, I'm including you teachers, too, in being in that hell. You are all more brave then I, who ordered takeout and fled as soon as I could ... before the kids scrounged more quarters out of my purse. This is a stressful venture when the parent-kid ratio is even, but tonight ... it was 1 to 3. And I don't have multiple spouses.)

Anyhow, unofficial and totally who-cares observation of the night from yours truly:

Before 5, the majority of people who voted in the Proctor district seemed to hold last names with the letters M-Z, a letter that let my husband zip through with his A-L last name. After 5, guess what happened ... you got it! A-L all came to vote at once while the M-Z line was practically naked. But I made it through, commandeered my "magic pen" (they were a hot commodity tonight) and studied my ballot to make sure I remembered everything straight. (It was quite the ballot ...)

I'm wondering, will this be my last poll vote? Should I frame my "I voted" sticker?

Because, as crazy as it was in that line and in that room, it was fabulous.

5 comments:

ensie said...

The line was massive at our polling place! Probably 25 or 30 people when we left with only 10 pens pens and 2 electronic voting machines. We hit a fortunate lull just before the crush, but it was so loud and crazy that it took me forever to concentrate on what I was doing, meaning that I only made the line last longer.

I LIKE going to the polling place and casting my vote in person. I don't want to vote by mail, but I can see that Washington wants me to head in that direction.

kevinfreitas said...

I'm with ensie. It will be a sad day when voting in person is abolished.

At the same polling place in Proctor at about 7pm everyone was in line for A-L. Good to see everyone at the polls. Maybe in the future we'll get together in World of Warcraft or Second Life instead of in person.

Alicia said...

Yay! (Sort of.) I'm not crazy! I was there between 5:30 and 6 (I wasn't looking at the clock) and A-L was so stuffed, I was wondering if it was fluke. Thanks Kevin for confirming the trend continuing!

I'll miss it too ... but I've enjoyed my stay of execution, as my native Oregon has been mail ballots for everyone for quite awhile now ...

Unknown said...

Agreed.

At 11:45, the A-L line WAS indeed empty.

Made my vote in the same unceremonious fashion, knowing it might full well be the last time...

Anonymous said...

I too voted at the polls. I wonder what it means that so many people active in the "virtual world" still choose to vote in-person? Regardless, as a proponent of moving towards Election Day Registration, which will enfranchise more voters and increase turnout more than all-mail voting, I'm sad to see that they're trying to make the all-mail thing official. I have no problem with other people mailing their ballots, but I'm sad to see my rights being taken away.