Monday, May 19, 2008

My other blog, where I attempt to eat local(ish) ...

It wasn't Morpheus, and no, it wasn't Derek, but this past year I was offered a choice. And I chose truth. (I think I can blame Kristen or Sarah.)

If you're a Matrix fan, you may recall Neo's choice of the red or the blue pill. The blue pill? It offers him, upon glimpsing a strange, difficult world, the option to return to life before he knew more. To carry on as before. The red pill? The truth. It was the option to take the safe route, or leap into a world of the unknown.

A little scary, but what's life without taking a few chances.

And this chance just happened to be good for me: Eating local.

At least partly.

For me, I'm sharing my efforts to eat, buy and grow local. I'm making a more conscious choice to seek as local of ingredients as I can. I won't be going Total Local, like some folks, but I'll be looking at labels, avoiding China, trying to stick to the closest option possible. I'll be making another effort at growing more of my own food. I'll be signing up for a CSA. And I'll be feeding my brain with books and conversations and practice-makes-perfect.

If you'd like to follow along, "down the rabbit hole" as some might say. Check out www.growlocaltacoma.com. Especially this blog.

Grocery trips are no longer what they once were. There is no going back, there is only going forward ... even if it's one baby step at a time.

No comments: