Thursday, March 06, 2008

Distance makes the heart grow fonder ...

Trekked to Edmonds this week for the first time. Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. A small town with a lovely downtown. Close to I-5, it has a ferry stop, there are many small shops and restaurants and doo-hickies downtown. A great view. Even the Savvy Traveler shop. I dreamt about what it must be like to live there ... and it was a nice 5 minutes. But then I decided that it's likely a better place to visit and vacation. I really do like Tacoma. I like its downs as well as its ups. In part because everywhere has its ups and its downs. You might hear about more of Tacoma's on the news, but that's just because it's Seattle TV stations reporting. Crime happens everywhere. And so do good things. Even this week when dealing with my car getting stolen and recovered, I encountered many good people. It was more of an up week than a down week. For more reasons than I could possibly list. But I got to ponder them during my day in Edmonds waiting for my meeting to start. And I got to enjoy a little piece of the Puget Sound region that I had not yet explored.

A few bits to share:

There was a lovely view. The plaque reads:

DEDICATED WITH LOVE TO
HERB & FARRIS NUETZMANN
ENJOY THEIR FAVORITE VIEW
WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR NEVER-
ENDING LOVE, GENEROSITY & KINDNESS
YOUR CHILDREN & GRANDCHILDREN
FAMILY AND FRIENDS



And there were binoculars to explore the view! And you didn't have to insert a quarter!


Then I had lunch at a lovely place called the Red Twig, across the street from the Savvy Traveler, while I got a little work done as well. I ordered the grilled croissant special, but I so should have ordered the crepes. They serve breakfast until 2 and it looked scrumptious. But I was in a bit of a frazzled state when I ordered, so I ordered the first thing I saw that looked good. Once I tasted it, no regrets. The vinegrette dressing on the salad was fabulous, as was the sandwich ... but that only makes me think how fabulous the crepes must have been. And then it reminds me of the crepe place near my flat when I lived in Ireland and ... ok. I'll stop now.


Ooh ... and they made goodies too. Here's the double-chocolate brownie I got. Very interesting ... I'm more of a semisweet/dark chocolate person and it was milk chocolate, so it was a little "milky" for my taste, but the textures of the brownie with the creamy topping was fabulous.


I enjoyed it all. And then I enjoyed coming home.

No comments: